The Generous Heart

Praying hands
Praying hands (Photo credit: fotosiggi)
Recently, at a Sunday service, I spoke of the Generous Heart.  The word generous/generosity comes from the root genus meaning clan or kin.  The original idea was that if you were well off, then you could afford to be generous.  However, this didn't account for the many people who gave unconditionally without being "well off."  So, the meaning of the  word morphed into an idea that to be generous means that you are being "noble" in character, if not by financial means.

To me, as evidenced in many of our sacred texts, poems and stories, The Generous Heart may be found within each human.  A Generous Heart give in all ways, especially when giving praise!

With that in mind, here are some words of praise to the Creator from around the world.


O Give thanks unto the Lord;
for he is good:
because his mercy endureth for ever.


Bible - Psalms 118:1 - King David
  
~~~~~

O Guru Rinpoche, Precious One,
You are the embodiment of
The compassion and blessings of all the buddhas,
The only protector of beings.
My body, my possessions, my heart and soul
Without hesitation, I surrender to you!
From now until I attain enlightenment,
In happiness or sorrow,
in circumstances good or bad,
in situations high or low:
I rely on you completely, O Padmasambhava, you who know me:
think of me, inspire me, guide me,
make me one with you!


Nyingma Buddhism - Jikmé Lingpa - 18th century 

  ~~~~~

IN THE NAME OF GOD, THE COMPASSIONATE, THE MERCIFUL


God is the light
of the heavens and the earth.
The smile of God's light
is like a niche in which is a lamp,
the lamp in a globe of glass,
the globe of glass as if it were a shining star,
lit from a blessed olive tree
neither of the East nor of the West,
its light nearly luminous
even if fire did not touch it.
Light upon light!
God guides to this light
whomever God will:
and God gives people examples;
and God knows all things.


Qur'an - 24:35 - Al 'nuur 

~~~~~ 
 
Oh my Beloved Adonai
You are alive for me today.
Seeing the wind caress the branches
Of the trees
I am delivered by Your grace into the infinity of Your existence.

You are alive in me today.
I feel Your presence coursing through my body and
Burning my heart with a golden fire.
Your voice -- such sweet silent flames of raging love
That purify me in blissful splendor but do not consume me.

Oh My Beloved
Oh Ever Faithful One
Open my mouth so that my lips may declare Your praise now and always
Open my heart to Your Love now and forever.



Early Morning Blessing - Ronald Bedrick

~~~~~
  
Thou art He Who watereth the hearts of all
that have recognized Thee from Thy plenteous stream
and the fountain of Thy living waters.
Praised be to God,
the Lord of the worlds.


Baha'i Prayers - Bahá'u'lláh
 
Prayers from World Prayers 
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan