Saying Farewell to Marcus Borg




Back when I was in seminary, I read a book that touched me deeply.  Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time by Marcus Borg was suggested reading.  I chose it because the title intrigued me. Little did I know that it would lead me to one of the most brilliant minds in theology of our time...Marcus Borg.

Dr. Borg's book was written, not in academic speak, but from the heart.  As I read, I felt I was having a long talk with a very wise friend.  Meeting Jesus led me to The God We Never Knew and numerous videos, websites and articles that have informed my understanding and affirmed my knowing of the Divine.  

One of the best video series I have watched on things theological was Eclipsing the Empire - Dr. Borg's journey through the lands in which the Apostle Paul traveled. He and Dr. Dominic Crossan make the sacred places of ancient times come alive.

When I woke today, the headlines announced Dr. Borg's return to Creator after a long battle with lung disease.  I was both saddened and joyous...sad because this great mind was no longer with us and joyful that he would be pain free now.

His legacy of writing is rich and available to us all.  His physical presence will be greatly missed, but his words, his essence will live on for many years to come.  

Rest in Peace and Love, dear teacher.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters