Unconditional Love



Several years ago, as I was cuddling my newest granddaughter, who had yet to be named, I had a revelation. Looking into her little face, not knowing her name, I knew without any doubt that my heart was full of love for her. 

This realization, that I could love her no matter what, gave me cause to ponder. If I, a mere mortal, can feel that way, can you imagine the breadth and depth of the Creator’s Love for us? 

Think about it...the Source of All Loves us no matter what we are called; whether Mary, John, Kinjal, Xiaolin, Eyes that Shine, Malidoma, or Nasser. The Great “I Am” Loves us no matter what we look like; whether big or small, black, white, pink, tan, yellow or red. The Great Spirit Loves us no matter what we do; whether we are a president of a country, a pauper in the street, a farm hand or a skilled worker. God Loves us no matter how we behave; whether we follow the Path mindfully or constantly wander off into the briars. The Creator Love us...period.

The understanding of this Eternal Love is such a simple concept, yet it is so difficult to grasp, mainly because, as humans we judge and label. We have a penchant for putting things into categories, boxes, or within the boundaries of fences or unseen demarcation lines. We, also, have a tendency to see those who are not exactly like ourselves as “the other.” This concept leads to endless heartache. 

In reality, the Holy Beloved’s Reality, there is no “other”, there is only “us”. The Great Spirit sees us as reflections of the Divine, nothing more. The Love of the Almighty has for us transpires, transverses, and transcends anything our human minds can imagine. 

So, as I sat holding my granddaughter, so fresh from the Creator; as I wrapped my arms around her sister and cousins, each a miracle of Love; as I basked in the joy of being with my daughters, I hold in my heart the image of the Beloved’s unquestioning, undeniable, unfathomable, and unconditional Love. 

As Kahlil Gibran wrote in The Prophet: 

 “Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself./But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:/ To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night./To know the pain of too much tenderness./ To be wounded by your own understanding of love;/And to bleed willingly and joyfully./ To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;/To rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy;/ To return home at eventide with gratitude;/And then to sleep with a prayer for the Beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.” 


Namasté.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan