Worry Not



 Photo © 2016

In The Sound of Music, Maria says, “When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.”

Many times, these words have rung true for me. However, trusting that, when difficulties arise, we will be cared for is not easy. Too often, we despair, believing that the worse is yet to come. We forget to look for rainbows, silver linings and open doors. 

Matthew wrote: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear...Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet Creator feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? …Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (New Testament) 

But, people everywhere worry. I know I do. Sometimes, faith is lost when “wants” blind us to “needs.” 

Helen Keller said, “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” 

We may want more of something, but do we really need it? When we stop and think about it, is there something in life that we already have which is waiting for our attention so that we can move forward onto a new path, through a new door? Let me give you an example. 

Several years ago, I lost my job when funding ran out. I was devastated. I couldn’t imagine what I was going to do. I wanted a new job. Suddenly, however, things changed. My daughter went into premature labor and needed me. 

As I drove to Maine to assist in the care of my toddler granddaughter and await the birth of my next grandchild, it dawned on me. I wouldn’t have been able to go help my daughter if I was still working. 

----- 

May all those on whom doors have closed find the strength to move forward. May they trust that whatever lies open ahead will have all they need for the future. May they be blessed with success in their endeavors, with boundless love and with balm to heal whatever wounds they carry into the unknown. 

#WordsfromtheHeartLMN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan