Victories of Soul and Spirit


Photo Credit: By David Shankbone (Own work) CC BY 3.0  via Wikimedia Commons 

Several years ago, when I was putting my first book together, I came upon this quote by Elie Wiesel, "I write to understand as much as to be understood." Those words captured, for me, exactly why I write.  

Today, as I opened the BBC News page, I learned that this great human, who inspired so many and lived his life as an advocate for those oppressed by hate, had died. Suddenly, the brilliance of this morning's light dimmed for me.

With mixed emotions, I spent time pondering the life of this gentle man. Like a beloved grandfather, he had given me so many lessons to learn and ponder with his writings, his work and his life.

I give thanks that he survived the horrors of the Holocaust, thereby, becoming a living example of hope and tenacity. I mourn him as if he were a dear relative, for truly, he was someone who had influenced my life more than some of those blood related to me.  I celebrate the gifts he had given us all, gifts that will continue on, gifts that will enable generations to remember.
 
"There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes, even if you lose, you win." 

Shalom, dear teacher, your wisdom will live on.  May we never forget.
May you find the blessed rewards of the victories of soul and spirit - eternal peace and love. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters