Jazz and God



Photo Credit:https://goo.gl/images/x2fBMB 

I knew little about jazz when I met my husband, other than I enjoyed listening to it.  Jazz made me feel calm. The extent of the jazz artists I knew and enjoyed were Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.  Their music spoke to me of rising above the turmoil, of being connected no matter your color, belief, or any of the isms.  Jazz united people and sang to their souls.

When Roger introduced me to John Coltrane, I was in awe.  The manner by which he played the saxophone wrapped around me, opening my mind and spirit to possibilities hidden deep within.  The first time he played, Coltrane's Love Supreme for me, the emotions ebbed and flowed through me.  This was divine music!

As an interfaith minister, I was taught that we meet people on their path and assist them in whatever way we can with whatever tools we have.  For me, music is a great tool for healing, forgiveness and spreading the Love of the Source of all love - Love Supreme - God's Love in whatever form that takes for a person. 

John Coltrane did just that with his music.  He saw that his was a gift to share in order to bring people together.  He resolved to create music that would touch the mind, heart and soul. He pursued a dream of sharing this knowledge and love with others. He created jazz that took the form of sound psalms.  Is it any wonder that in the African Orthodox Church canonized him a saint?

Today, I give thanks for the women and men, like John Will I Am Coltrane,  who offer their music so that the world can find:
  • Acknowledgement - the ability to see that there is more than simply us in the Universe - to see the connections we have with all creation; 
  • Resolution - the ability to find peace through acceptance and forgiveness; 
  • Pursuance - the ability to move forward - to reach for what seems unattainable - to continue when giving up would be so much easier; and 
  • Psalm - the ability to sing our own song of Praise and Love to the world - songs of Love Supreme. 


Blessings all-ways!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan