The Sacred Pause

Photo Credit: Linda M. Rhinehart Neas (c) 2017

What happens when we take the time to mindfully pause - when we stop long enough not to react spontaneously to a given situation? What do we discover in the space between breaths? 

Dr. Tara Brach suggests, "Through the sacred art of pausing, we develop the capacity to stop hiding, to stop running away from our experience. We begin to trust in our natural intelligence, in our naturally wise heart, in our capacity to open to whatever arises. Like awakening from a dream, in the moment of pausing our trance recedes and Radical Acceptance becomes possible." 

Dr. Brach is a Buddhist teacher, author and clinical psychologist. She writes that when we pause, an activity that has a beginning and an end, we take control of our lives. She says that pausing allows us to see our fears and desires more clearly; thereby, enabling us to make better decisions.

In my life, I have had moments of sacred pausing where I become acutely aware of what is happening around me. Time seems to stop and I become a visitor to the moment, able to fully feel, see and experience what is happening. During these moments, memories indelibly imprint into my mind, allowing me to recall the moment, in full, years later. For me, these moments have been pivotal. They awakened me to depths of feeling that I might have missed. They enlightened me to gifts and talents I might have never discovered. They roused within me a curiosity for life.

Dr. Brach leads us into such a moment:



Blessings to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters