The Only Constant


This week, as I walked down our lovely tree-lined street, I saw it...the first leaf of autumn.  Everything in me screamed, "NO!!"  I am not ready for fall, not ready for the cold to begin to seep into my days, not ready for the thoughts of blizzards, ice storms, holidays.

But, as a wise person once said, "The only constant in life is change." So, no matter how unwilling I am, how unprepared, how unhappy, the season will change in its own time.  

Life happens in its own time. We may try to schedule things. We turn clocks back and forth.  We may assign days to various happenings. But, in reality, what will come to pass arrives when the time is right, in spite of all our protests, manipulations or demands.

Change has to happen. If a child doesn't grow, it means something is terribly wrong. If the weather stayed constant, plants would fail to grow. If seeds stayed seeds, there would be no flowers, no food. Change has to happen. Change is a blessing. Writer and poet, Kamand Kojouri wrote, “Autumn is my favorite season of all. It is a transitory period that allows the earth to rest before it sees the harshness of winter and hears the promise of spring.” 

Consequently, all we can do is "roll with the flow." We can work at preparing for the storms of life, be they hurricanes, blizzards or tragedies. We can be flexible and adapt. But, no matter what, we can't stop change from happening. (We might postpone it for a bit, but inevitably change will occur!)

I picked up the leaf, looking at the beauty of its shape and color. I gave thanks for the glory of nature in all seasons. Then, I began to ponder the things I would need to do to let go of summer and move into autumn.

May we all find within ourselves the flexibility to adapt. May we learn to bend in order not to snap and break from the winds of change. May we discover beauty, truth, and most especially, Love no matter what Life brings our way.

Blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan