Daily Gratitude


One of the problems many relationships have is that, sooner or later, the partners begin to take each other for granted. Why? From my 60-plus years of observation, it comes down to a lack of gratitude. Let me give you an example.

Partner A helps Partner B, who has worked all day, by folding the laundry and putting it away, a task Partner B usually handles. Partner B, doesn't notice that the laundry is done until there is a need for a clean towel, which isn't where he/she would store it. Then, they make a big deal out of the fact that the towel isn't where it should be. This completely deflates Partner A, who thought he/she was doing something loving.

Being grateful isn't difficult, nor is it something that has be done extravagantly. A simple, kindly said, "Thank you, so much. How nice of you," can go a long way to making a person feel appreciated. This is true with any relationship - spouses, partners, parents/children or friends and colleagues. Being mindful of the kindnesses others show us is the glue that keeps relationships together.

In addition, the great thing about gratitude is that you can always say thank you, even days, months or years later. As a young woman, I remembered words of wisdom my 6th grade teacher told me that had come in handy, years later. I wasn't sure where she was, but I wrote to her. I sent the letter to her last known address. Sure enough, she got my note telling her how her words of wisdom had come in handy. She immediately wrote back to say how much my note had touched her. Retired, she had thought her students had all forgotten her. We kept in communication until her death many years later.

So, if there is someone in your life to whom a thank you is deserved, take the time to let them know how much you appreciate them.  

Thank YOU all for reading these words and for all your kind messages to me over the years. 

Blessings! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan