Remembering Billy Graham


Photo Credit: [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

People ask how long I have been "into" interfaith beliefs. I find it difficult to answer, because it seems that I have always had them. With the recent death of evangelist, Billy Graham, I remembered one of the key moments in my journey on the interfaith/interspiritual path that I travel.

In 1964, I had just turned 11, when my mother told me she would be going to a revival with my Girl Scout leader. I was full of questions, as usual. What is a revival? Why do you need to be "born again?" Who is this man, Billy Graham? 

Being raised Catholic and attending parochial school, I didn't know about such things. I did know that there were many paths to God, because our neighborhood was quite diverse with churches on every block it seemed - not all of them Catholic. 

Momma was not an adherent to the "only one true faith" belief. She spoke to everyone, trying to understand where they were coming from and how their path intersected with hers. She had gone toe-to-toe with our parish monsignor. He had told the Catholic girls, who belonged to the Girl Scout troop that met at the Southern Baptist Church Hall, to confess that they had sinned because they had entered the Baptist church sanctuary to present the colors on Memorial Day. Momma reminded him that we are all God's children.
  
So, later in that year, when Billy Graham came to Boston, I had already begun to see that there were intersections where religion, faith and spirit crossed and combined. Had I been a bit older, I am sure my mother would have taken me with her to the revival.

Instead, I had to wait till the next day to learn what this great evangelist said and what my mother thought of him. As it turned out, she liked him and the message that he was sending out. She told me, "Linda, there are more ways to the Creator than there are spokes on a bicycle." That image has stayed in my mind ever since. In fact, when I talk about my interfaith/interspiritual ministry, I often use the bicycle wheel as a metaphor.

But Momma wasn't the only Catholic to like Rev. Graham. While in Boston, he met with Cardinal Cushing, who said, "God will bless [Graham’s] preaching and crusade." Rev. Graham, also prayed shoulder to shoulder with President Kennedy, which added to my insight that we, while on different paths, could agree to find space to be together.

I have no doubt that Rev. Graham is gathering with other visionaries and enlightened souls on the other side of the veil. I can only imagine the beauty and joy that surrounds him. 

May those who followed his teachings find peace. May his family be blessed with joy-filled memories. May the world always remember him as a good and faithful servant.

Blessings to all!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters