Hyacinths to Feed My Soul


If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft, 
And from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left, 
Sell one, and with the dole 
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

by Saadi of Shiraz

Many years ago, my mother taught me this poem, which is filled with such great wisdom.  The poet, Saadi, was a Persian medieval scholar. 

Each Easter, I buy hyacinths for the house, transplanting them into the garden once they go by. Why? Because, after a long, cold and difficult winter, my soul needs the beauty they provide. 

Their scent, the gorgeous, rich purple blooms, the delicate shape of each flower does more to wash away the doldrums than all the medicine in the world!

So, as the Easter morning sun rises on the first day of April, may you find something beautiful that will feed your soul. 

Blessings of Light, Healing and Renewal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan