Grandmother Connections


When my first grandchild was born, I was overwhelmed with emotion.  In her tiny eyes, I saw my mother, my grandmother and the long line of women, who preceded them. I thought I was simply overly emotional from driving across three states to be with this new bundle of joy and my daughter. However, a recent meme on Facebook gave me pause to think.

According to the meme, "A female fetus is born with all the eggs she will ever have in her lifetime. So, when your grandma was carrying your mum in her womb, you were a teeny tiny egg in your mum’s ovaries." That is to say, that the three of you were in one body, simultaneously. One! 

The thought of this blew me away. I instantly teared up, thinking of my four daughters and my 11 grandchildren. 

Then, came the naysayers. "An egg is not a fetus." True. But, it is part of who a person will become. That is to say, when your grandmother was carrying your mother, part you was also part of your mother! 

In addition, the genes within that egg carries the DNA of your ancestors, which brings with it genetic memories

For me, this was a lovely reminder that we are connected to our ancestors, especially our grandmothers, in ways we have just begun to imagine. The Indigenous People of our world have known this for millenniums. They give great respect and honor to the ancestors. This meme, for me, was a reminder of this.

~~~~

May we all be blessed with the knowledge and wisdom of our ancestors. May we heal their wounds as well as our own. May we remember that how we treat each other, and this world will either bless or curse future generations. Let all we do be blessings for our children's children and their children, ad infinitum.

Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan