Lifting My Eyes

Photo Credit (c) 2018 Linda M. Rhinehart Neas


Lift up your eyes on high /And see who has created these stars, /The One who leads forth their host by number, /He calls them all by name; /Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, /Not one of them is missing. Isaiah 40:26



Often when I pray, I lift my eyes up to the heavens. I don't know why - force of habit, the idea of the Creator is looking down on us, the idea that "eternity" is out there, somewhere - I really don't know.  But, I do it, regularly.

Sometimes, when I look up, something will catch my eye. Clouds fascinate me. Stars twinkle so bright, yet many are already gone, just so much space dust, by the time their light reaches us. Eagles and hawks always capture my attention as I believe they are messengers from on High.

When this happens, I chide myself for not being able to stay focused on my prayers. Then, last week as I was driving to work, trying to say my prayers, it came to me to look up the word prayer or to pray. 

The word "pray" comes from the Latin, precari, which means to ask earnestly. The word "earnest" comes from Old English for serious.

What came to me is that even when my mind wanders to clouds or stars or even what to say to a troubled soul, it is all part of prayer. A serious asking. If, and I do, believe that prayer is "talking" to the Creator/God/the Universe/however you see the Divine, then, it should be a conversation, not a soliloquy or monologue.  

What a relief to allow myself the ability to "wander" in my thoughts and to "hear" the messages that come in symbols, signs and tiny whispers, often with great results. 

May we all learn to lift our eyes, listen, and hear what speaks to us in our hearts when we ask seriously. May we be given the wisdom to know what is inspiration and what is fancy. 

Blessings to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters