Taking a Fast from Social Media


Photo: (c) 2018 LMRNeas

Inspired by my daughter, I took a social media fast this week. I have to admit, while I thought it would be difficult to stay away from Facebook and Instagram, it wasn't. In fact, I found it surprisingly easy, once I set my mind to it.

After the week was over, (I fasted from Sunday to Saturday) I wondered if it had done anything for me. Here's what I learned. 
  • I slept better.  Solid uninterrupted 7 hours!
  • I was less anxious and sad.
  • I could think clearer. (For a writer/teacher, this is SO important!)
As I am prone to do, I researched to see if anyone else found this to be true. Sure enough, there are hundreds of articles about the benefits of fasting from social media.  Mainly, they all say the same things.  Staying off social media enables you to connect with reality...pure and simple!
I have often written about staying away from the news, especially if one has any type of anxiety issues. The constant barrage of negativity feeds anxiety and creates more problems. I strongly believe this is why many of our children are being diagnosed with anxiety disorders - too many household either have the news stations blaring from dawn to dusk, and/or they are constantly on social media and talking about what they read/saw/heard in front of their children.
Our brains can't function in this type of fight or flight venue. We must have balance, which means time to take in beauty, to create, and to heal. 
My intuition (Remember that word, it is my word for the year.) tells me that while social media can help us stay connected to family and friends, which it certainly has for me, social media can also destroy those connections with all the negativity, comparisons, and downright meanness found there.
What to do?  Well, one can do a fast for a week, a month, 40 days. Or, there are some that recommend a fast from social media every other day.  I am thinking that, because I use social media in my ministry, I will go with a fast several days during the week.  Rather than every other day, though, I think I will work it so that I am on Facebook on Saturday and Sunday and Wednesday. The other days will be days of rest, rejuvenation and renewal. I think I can deal with that. I will also limit my time on Facebook to ministry, answering questions/messages and contacting those I love, not endlessly scrolling through posts that only raise my blood pressure.
May we all find ways to connect to the world at our feet as well as around us, may those with anxiety disorders find ways to increase their inner peace, and may all of us be blessed with rest, healing and Love.
Blessings to all!

For more information on the benefits of social media fasting:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters