When Darkness Falls



Once again, the news that flashes across the world in nanoseconds reports of innocent lives lost by someone whose heart is so full of hate that they no longer see others as human. Once again, the debates, the political meanderings, the promises to create change that never happen are front page news. Once again, candles are lit, flowers are brought, hymns are sung. Once again, our nation weeps collectively, as families mourn separately and together.

Today, I heard over and over again, my colleagues and friends say, "I don't know what to do any more." Despair creeps stealth-fully into our lives. We feel lost.

At times like these, I turn to that which brings me hope...music, poetry, prose, art. I spend time creating things for those I love. I garden, walk through the woods, go to the beach.  Hope is ALWAYS present. Hope is that small glimmer of Light at the very edge of the darkness that reminds us not to give up.

One of my most favorite prayers for times like this - and favorite hymns - is the Prayer of St. Francis.

Lord make me an instrument of your peace -
Where there is hatred let me sow love; 
Where there is injury, pardon; 
Where there is doubt, faith; 
Where there is despair, hope; 
Where there is darkness, light; 
And where there is sadness, joy. 

O Divine Master grant 
That I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; 
To be understood as to understand; 
To be loved as to love; 
For it is in giving that we receivex;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned; 
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life. 
Amen 

~~~~

May all those mourning the deaths at Tree of Live Synagogue be held in the Grace of Love. May those who can make the changes needed to stop these horrific events have the courage and means to do so. May we continue to see Hope, even if it is but an ember in the darkness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan