The Ministry of Art


This past week, I watched the documentary by Wim Wenders on Pope Francis - A Man of His Word. Unlike some documentaries that I have seen, Wenders allows his camera to tell the story and for his subjects to speak to the camera, close and personal. In this instance, the result was inspiring, affirming and enlightening.

Seeing art as a ministry, as an ability to serve others - to enlighten, heal, inspire, affirm, encourage and support - is in itself an eye-opener. Too often in our modern world, there are those who see artists as people who don't have "real" jobs. How different things would be if we began to understand that art, in all its forms, is a calling - a ministry - that must be shared, even when it means that it goes unrecognized or appreciated.
 

I think of Vincent Van Gogh. A genius in his own right, yet totally unappreciated, with the exception of his brother, Theo, until after his death.  Now, he is considered one of the great masters of Impressionism. How sad he never lived to see his work appreciated.  From the letters to his brother, we know that he truly understood that his art was a calling. 

However, before he answered this call to fully be an artist, Vincent went into ministry. Vincent, much like St. Francis of Assisi, Pope Francis' namesake, was drawn to the poor, to those whose lives where filled with darkness and despair. He gave away all he had to them, causing embarrassment for his clergy father and his superiors.

Fortunately for us, Vincent realized that it was Art that was calling him. The azure skies, the starry nights, the wave of a flower were all calling him to put paint to canvas. Art was Vincent's ministry, which he so wanted the world to have. In his words, "Art is to console those who are broken by life."

When I think of the artist I know - painters, writers, poets, dancers, musicians - I can see that their work is a calling. When I watch them at their craft, see them sharing what they have done, I can absolutely see what Pope Francis is saying.  "Apostles of beauty" is a glorious moniker for these gifted and talented people. 

Furthermore, in my ministry, I use photography to minister. I have been a photographer since my teens. I love the ability to capture moments on film. Thanks to digital cameras, I am able to create all manner of art from my photos. (My favorite being to change the photo into what looks like an oil painting. The photo above is an example.) 

When I use my art to minister, I do so, hoping that at the least someone will smile and think, "Oh, that's pretty." At the most, I pray that what I have created will bring them some peace or healing or inspire them to do something they long to do.  

Art is a "real" job. Art is a calling, a ministry.  Art is one of the many gifts the Universe bestows on people, expecting that we develop our gift in order to share it with others. When we do what we love, what we are called deep in our hearts and souls to do, the rest takes care of itself. 

May we all find our calling.  Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan