Up with the Birds

Baby Cardinal Outside My Window
(c) 2020 Rev. Linda M. Rhinehart Neas
 
"The older you get, the less sleep you need."  This maxim was quoted to me in my youth by many of my elderly family and friends as an explanation of why they would be "up with the birds." Thing is, I never believed it to be true since many of them took long afternoon naps!
 
That being the case, I find myself up with the birds today. The sun has hardly crested North Sugarloaf Mountain, and I am wide awake wondering why. After all, at 5:45 it is still fairly dark. The birds singing didn't wake me because I can't hear them until I put in my hearing aids.  So, why am I wide awake?
 
Some people believe that waking early is a call from Spirit to rise and commune with the Divine.  Not sure if this is so, but I do know that when I find myself up and about in the wee hours, I usually use the time to pray, to write and to appreciate Nature. 
 
Even in the semi-light of dawn and bad weather, I can see my garden from my kitchen window. This brings me such joy, comfort, and inspiration.  From this vantage point, I can meditate on my St. Francis and angel statues. I can meditate on the beauty of the flowers blooming just outside. I can meditate on the wonder of the birds coming to the feeders. Mostly, I can give thanks for it all.
 
In the silence of bird song and summer breezes, I can quiet my mind and lift my spirit up from the doom and gloom of the news. Maybe this is why elders rise early. We know from our years of experience that the trials and tribulations of life can quickly overwhelm a soul. In addition, we know that time alone with ourselves and the Divine can bring us the strength, the wisdom, and the courage to keep moving forward through the day, even if we need a nap, later!
 
Today, I think I rose early to be able to write this reminder. We all need time to rejuvenate, to heal, to energize our spirits. If you find yourself "up with the birds," try to see it as the opportunity to have some spiritual R&R.  Let the silence of a new day speak to you.
 
Blessings!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan