Heart Full of Grace

Today, as we observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we were surprised by a call from the grandchildren. They wanted to ask us questions about what it was like to have lived during the same time as the Rev. Dr. King. I'll be honest, it was an emotional conversation for both Roger and me.

Our perspectives were completely different since I was, in the 60's, a child in the projects of South Boston and Roger was a preacher's son in the South. Answering the children's questions not only reminded both of us of why we are, who we are today, but also brought us great hope.

One of the most poignant questions came from our oldest granddaughter, who asked what we remembered of the day Rev. Dr. King was assassinated. I, very emotionally, told her that I remembered feeling like the Light had gone out in the entire world. However, I was also reminded of my mother telling me that the Light had simply passed to others to finish the work. 

As a young activist, I dreamed of seeing what Martin saw in his "I Have a Dream" speech. For years, I have used the power of the written word to promote Love and Peace in the world, believing that such a world begins with me.

I was of the Camelot generation and like the fabled story, I witnessed the demise of what we had hoped would be the answer to all the work so many before us had lived and died to accomplish. My mother's words about the Light being passed to others has never left me. I read them over and over in books, articles and heard them in songs, plays and on film. The theme is universal. 

Then, today on a phone call to my grandchildren, I realized we were passing the Light to a new generation. Through us, they could see the brilliance and beauty of its glow. Through us, they could hear the importance of the work to keep the Lamp lit for all. Through us, they could see that Love and Peace are not old time concepts, but ideals of the highest caliber worthy to be protected, respected, and carried forth for generations to come. 

In the quote at the top of this post, the Rev. Dr. King told his congregation at the Ebenezer Baptist Church that anyone could serve...one only needs "a heart full of Grace and a soul full of Love." With humble gratitude, I give thanks for both as well as the ability to serve all those yearning for the Light.

Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan