Follow the Sun

 


We are almost mid-April and the sun is warming the earth, springing forth green shoots and bursting with resplendent color. Sitting in the garden the other day, I began to wonder why it was that I longed for the ocean.

Perhaps, living three blocks from the beach as a child has something to do with it, or maybe it is that many of the books I enjoy center of being near the sea. No matter the reason, I truly long to walk in the sand, feel the salty breeze kiss my cheeks and dive into the icy cold sea off Maine's coast.

The quote above by Sandy Gingras is so true. When I am "at the beach," time has no need for watches. We know the time based on the location of the sun overhead and the distance between the incoming or outgoing tides. We linger, commune, hold rituals and offer words of praise and thanks. 

Being at the ocean, for me, is church. I find great healing walking the shore, talking to the Divine. Each time I swim, I am baptized in the knowledge that life can slow down, can be enjoyed. The ritual of building a sandcastle is a lesson in impermanence, while collecting shells, sea glass and pebbles is a reminder of the great wonder and beauty The Source has left for us everywhere.

Soon, we will have our complete vaccinations against COVID. By May, we should be cleared to travel once more. When we do, our first trip will be to Maine, the ocean and family, whom we have not been with in over a year. 

May we all safely return to those places that fill our souls, lift our spirits and bring us great joy. Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan