Standing Strong



Once again, waves of hate and fear have hit upon the shores of our country. Once again, mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, family and friends are doused with the waters of despair.  

We hear people calling from prayer. We hear people calling for justice. Yet, nothing seems to change. 

Today, as I listened to our pastor speak of being filled with peace, I wondered just how I, as a woman of pale color, could be filled with peace when my family - blood-related as well as "adopted" - of dark color struggle daily with the knowledge that their children, their spouse, or they themselves may be killed simply for being dark-skinned.  

I will be honest.  I am horrified that we as a nation built on "Christian" morals - Thou shalt not kill! - still allow ourselves to find ways to condone the possession of weapons of war. 

Let me make this clear - I am not talking about hunting weapons.  Many families still hunt for their food and that should be allowed. I am talking about weapons of war - the tools used by soldiers to kill other people during wartime.  

I lived on military bases for many years.  I know the difference between weapons of war and hunting.  I have seen first-hand what these weapons in civilian hands can do and what they can destroy. I have wept with families as they try to find peace after their child has been senselessly killed for insane reasons.

We MUST stop blaming. We MUST stop make excuses. We MUST stop making empty promises to "fix" the problem. We MUST realize that the slaughter of others goes against the laws of every faith path, every moral code.

Being the Light in this darkness is not easy.  Shining brightly into the storm of hate is not easy. However, if we fail to share our Love, if we fail to create laws that will end this open massacre of our children and loved ones, if we fail to protect all our citizens from hate and oppression, then we will have failed to live the lives we were called to live. We will have failed the next seven generations. We will have failed ourselves.

Let us all stand strong and shine our Light collectively.  Blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan