The Day After


The date of 9/11 is one that lives in infamy. The pain of that day is still palpable for us. However, what I would like to share today is the memory of the days after.

I vividly remember hearing about the attack to the towers. I was in the basement of the doctor's office where I worked as a wellness practitioner for York Hospital. My daughter called hysterical. I did what I could do to calm her. After I hung up, I began to feel fear like I have never known before or since. However, there were patients waiting for me and I couldn't abandon them. I left the office praying for a sign that all would be well. As I crossed the parking lot, I saw one of the bushes that days before was a mass of twigs, in bloom.  Puzzled, I took a closer look. The bush was covered in Monarch butterflies. Instantly, I felt peace pour through me. 

As the day wore on and the during the days immediately following, I saw and heard about so many acts of compassion and kindness that my heart overflowed. In the midst of this terrible storm, we, the people of these United States, banded together like never before. For me, it was obvious that we didn't "find these dangers sufficient reason to remain ashore."

We need to remember this. We need not wait for the next storm before we give unconditionally to our fellow humans. We need not wait for hate or fear or oppression to raise their ugly heads to offer the hand of Love, Peace and Liberty to others. We can live daily in the calm, even with a tempest rising up around us. 

The day after a crisis becomes the foundation on which we put together the rest of our life. We are all stronger than we imagine. We are all able to shine brightly. Together, our light fills the world with hope.

Don't forget September 12, 2001. Don't forget all the Love, compassion, and acts of sacrifice and kindness that occurred on that day and the days that followed. Let that be the touchstone we go to when the winds blow strong, and the clouds darken the sky of life.

Blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Bible Sisters

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan