When My Heart Breaks

 


What is it about humans that we can be the very best when things are horrible? The posts on social media have shown so many brave, tenacious, compassionate people...ordinary people...doing extraordinary things.  

In the midst of war, people who just weeks ago were living ordinary lives, are now facing horrors no one should ever have to face. Yet, these same people can find hope in simple things...carriages left on a train platform for mother's escaping the bombings...babies born in train tunnels...grandmothers handing out sunflower seeds to soldiers who have invaded their homes and lives with the message, "Put these in your pocket, so that something good will come of your death."

One thing is for sure, I will never look at a sunflower again without thinking of the courage the Ukrainian people are showing the world. I will never look at the yellow and blue colors of their flag without seeing the Babushka's sitting in their colorful scarves while behind them bombs drop. I will never look into the eyes of my students, whether from Ukraine or Uruguay, without seeing the pain that only those uprooted hide deep within their souls.
 
I have prayed for peace daily. I have prayed for the end of suffering. I have prayed that miracles will happen before another life is senselessly lost. I have prayed that the hearts and minds of men who don't even flinch when ordering the bombing and destruction of children's hospitals, schools, and entire communities of families, be opened to the pain, and suffering they are causing. I have prayed...
 
For over half a century, I have worked as a peacemaker. My heart has been broken so many times. On the bright side, and there is always a bright side, my heart has been patched together so often that it is now a gorgeous crazy quilt wrapping my soul in love and tenacity because, I might not be able to do much, but I can love and share that love with all who meet me. 
 
We are all family. We are all connected. Love one another. Blessings!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers

Review of Gypsy for God by Yvonne Morgan

Bible Sisters